How to get a Learner's Permit
Items you need to take with you to the DMV:
1. Driver Education Certificate - A certificate you receive upon completion of a licensed Driver Education classes.
2. Birth Certificate (certified or original)
3. Social Security Card (not laminated)
4. Driving Eligibility Certificate - Required when a person less than 18 years of age is applying for a permit or license. This certificate states that the student listed is passing at least five of six courses in a regular schedule, or three of four courses in a block schedule and is currently enrolled in school. The certificate is good for thirty days, and then it has to be renewed. Each high school has a person assigned as a contact to issue this certificate (usually a guidance counselor or assistant principal). Please check with your guidance department or your school secretary for more information.
5. One parent or guardian to sign the forms at the DMV
6. Supervising Driver's Signature (this person is not the only person the permit holder can drive with, refer to the NC Driver's Handbook for more information)
Click here to see the fee for obtaining your permit or other items